Thursday 13 December 2012

Ice Crystals

It was minus seven this morning when I headed out and while walking along the Pennine Way footpath I spotted these beautiful ice crystals forming on the river Tees. 


05D-8579 Ice crystals forming on the river Tees in Upper Teesdale County Durham
Nature really is wonderful at creating beautiful abstracts


05D-8692 Ice crystals forming on the river Tees in Upper Teesdale County Durham
Beautiful, fragile and transient


05D-8713 Ice crystals forming on the river Tees in Upper Teesdale County Durham
Ice butterfly resting on an icicle



At full size the pattern and detail is stunning.

4 comments:

  1. Hard to beat ice formations, they are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are Mark, sadly by tomorrow they will all be gone. It's back to wind and rain this weekend by the looks of it:-(

      Delete
  2. The wind and rain is here, true enough. Those pictures are stunning, David. It's amazing what beauty can form just with a drop in temperature.
    Minus seven is cold, mind. It was about minus four down here.
    Cheers, Alen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it may have been cold down your way, on a couple of days there looked to be freezing fog as well. At home first thing it was minus six when I started the car up and I expected it to be a lot colder further up the dale. It only dropped another degree as I drove up which surprised me.

      It has to be said photographing down by the river was not a pleasant experience after a while. It started off fine, but I ended up so absorbed in capturing images that by the time I had finished my hands were numb and my feet were frozen. I was ok after a good stomp along the track, but it did highlight how quickly you would become hypothermic if you had an accident.

      Shame the weather is back to form again. Despite being full of cold I have really enjoyed the last week or so. Fingers crossed for another high pressure.
      David

      Delete