Friday 16 August 2013

Ashgill Force.

When anyone mentions Cumbria, most people think of the Lake District. Many folk don't realise that Cumbria reaches into the North Pennines as well. I had a short walk down to this hidden gem of a waterfall a few miles from Garrigill, near Alston the other day.


06D-2917 Ashgill Force Near Alston in Summer Cumbria UK


It's a popular spot with outdoor education providers who set up abseils down the edge of the waterfall so it's best to get there early if you want purely landscape shots. I did and had the place to myself for a while. You can even walk behind the waterfall and look out.


06D-2955 Ashgill Force Near Alston Cumbria UK


It would be a great place to capture in spate and I will have to make an effort and head up there again.

Images/text Copyright David Forster/www.bluestoneimages.com

2 comments:

  1. Hi David. Great pictures. I don't know that place at all so now I'm going to look it up on my map.
    Cheers, Alen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alen. It's not an area I know particularly well, but I am sure you will find plenty to keep you interested. There is certainly a lot of industrial heritage in the form of lead mining nearby. In fact you actually pass a barred mine entrance a few steps from the path to the falls. I bet few people if any notice it though.

      Delete